Biography of Toyin Abraham
Toyin Abraham is a Nigerian actress, filmmaker, producer, and entrepreneur. She began her acting career in 2003 when she starred in the movie Dugbe Dugbe nbo produced by Bukky Wright. Since then, she has continued to feature in the best of Nollywood movies and has also ventured into movie production.
Generally, Toyin is known for her comic roles in films especially with her self-produced blockbuster movie Alakada Reloaded. She is also an entrepreneur who recently ventured into the sales of herbal products for women with infertility issues.
Toyin Abraham Background
Toyin Abraham was born Olutoyin Aimakhu on September 5, 1984 in Auchi, Edo State, Nigeria. She began her education in Edo state and attended Oba Kenzo Nursery and Primary School, Benin. Later on, her father retired and the entire family moved to Ibadan where she spent most of her early life.
In Ibadan, she started from Queen’s Staff School, then St. Annes School, Ibadan. Thereafter, she proceeded to Iree Polytechnic, Osun State for a National Diploma in Business Studies. She also attended Olabisi Onabanjo University and bagged a degree in Philosophy before returning to Iree Polytechnic for an HND in Marketing.
Toyin is the last of six children. She was born into a poor background where she had to hawk to support her family.
In 2013, Toyin got married to Adeniyi Johnson, a Nollywood actor. But, the marriage lasted for two years. Then, in July 2019, she had a traditional engagement with Kolawole Ajeyemi, an actor too and together they welcomed their first child in August, 2019.
She changed her name from Toyin Aimakhu to Toyin Abraham in 2016. According to her, the change was her family’s decision. Her hobbies include; singing, dancing, and cooking.
Toyin Abraham Career
Toyin began acting in 2003 but took it professional in 2004/2005. Her motivation came from her boss Bukky Wright, an ace Nigerian actress. Toyin Abraham first featured in Bukky’s movie, Dugbe Dugbe Nbo. Subsequently, she began to star in other films until she rose to stardom.
As she grew in the movie industry, she started producing her own movies. The first movie she produced is Alajota and there are plans to produce Alajota Reloaded.
Today, Toyin Abraham is one of the biggest brands in the Nigerian movie industry. According to her, starring in Okafor’s Law and working with movie director, Omoni Oboli was highly instrumental to her brand. She is not relenting, she has been consistent and is making a name for herself.
In the industry, she has worked with the likes of Kunle Afolayan, Tonto Dikeh, Jackie Appiah, Bolanle Ninalowo, Mercy Aigbe, Iyabo Ojo, and many others.
She has starred in numerous movies, some of which include; Alakada, Omo Elemosho, Ayitale, Ebi mi ni, Alani Baba Labake, Love is in the Hair, Okafor’s Law, Celebrity Marriage, Tatu, Wives on Strike: The Revolution, London Fever.
Hakkunde, Alakada Reloaded, Mentally, Esohe, The In-laws, Dance to my Heart, Disguise, The Ghost and the Tout, Seven and a Half Dates, What Just Happened, Two Weeks in Lagos, Nimbe. Don’t Get Mad, Get Even, Made in Heaven, The Millions, 2019, Kasanova, Bling Lagosians, Elevator Baby.
Awards And Nomination
Toyin is an award-winning actress with several nominations. Some of the nominations include;
- Best Supporting Actress (Yoruba) ‘Ebimi ni’, Best of Nollywood Awards, 2013
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role ‘Esohe’, Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA), 2018
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role ‘Diamond in the Sky’, English, Best of Nollywood, 2019
Some of the awards in her possession also include;
- Best Actress ‘Alakada’, Ben TV Awards, 2014
- Best Indigenous Actress, Nigeria Entertainment Award, 2014
- The Best Supporting Actress Feature Film ‘Hakkunde’ Five Continents International Film Festival, 2017
- Best Actress in Nollywood, Moreklue All Youths Award (MAYA), 2017
- The Best Female Act, Nigeria Entertainment Awards (NEA), 2017
- Best Actress ‘Alakada Reloaded’ Exquisite Lady of the Year (ELOY), 2017
- Best Supporting Actress ‘Tatu’ Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA), 2018
In October 2019, Toyin officially launched her herbal medicine business, Toyin Herbal, a subsidiary of Toyin Abraham Company. This was shortly after she revealed how challenging her journey to motherhood was.
According to her, she discovered a lot of people have abandoned the traditional remedies that served their forefathers during crises of childlessness. Rather, they have sort out other modern inventions which are quite expensive and probably harmful to their health. As a result, she launched the Female Fertility Booster (FFB), a product that makes child bearing and conceiving easier.
FFB enhances sexual health, balances menstrual cycle and cramps, supports and stabilizes pregnancy. Also, she is the CEO of CurvslimmingteabyToyin and bodytalkbyToyin.
Toyin Abraham Net Worth
Toyin is one of Nigeria’s biggest social influencer. Keninfo.com.ng estimated her net worth at $500,000. She is one of the richest and most influential actresses in Nigeria.
Toyin Abraham Quotes
- “Don’t dwell too much on what people tell you so you don’t have to relax, keep moving.”
- “When you don’t listen to the voice of the Lord, then you listen to the voice of the devil.”
- “When you make a mistake be quick to say it out loud. It only becomes a problem when you fail to admit it.”
- “You cannot motivate people with what you do not know.”
- “When you fall, and you stand, it makes you great.”
- “We are all beggars on earth. It’s either we are begging for money, happiness, health e.t.c. Let’s be humble.”
- “Herbal medicine go as far back as we can remember. It is how our great-grandparents and grandparents survived and thrived.”
- “By the time you analyse issues carefully, you would realise that the so-called critics are people who don’t know you. They form their opinions based on what they see on screen or what they hear people say.”
- “Life is too short to dwell on things that make you unhappy.”
- “To be great in life, you have to be willing to be mocked, hated and misunderstood.”
- “Happiness is personal. Don’t let people determine your happiness…”
- “Motherhood is a journey. A reality check where you realise that your life is no longer your own. Even in labour room, to live or not-to is in the hand of God.”
There is room for improvement
In an interview recently, Toyin was asked the secret to her success, she said, she owes it to constant self improvement. She further explained how she had to quit some habit, redefine her relationships, and even researched how to be a better actress.
Just like the words of Roy Bennet, “You make the world a better place by making improvements to become the best version of yourself.” There is always room for self improvement and continuous improvement. It does not matter what level you are in life, constantly seek for ways to improve yourself.
Recently, Toyin starred in Kathryn Fasega’s movie ‘two weeks in Lagos’, and played the role of a church, cool-headed girl as opposed to her usual kind of roles. Apparently, her fans were amazed as to how she could perfectly deliver the role.
It is important to be versatile in life and in business.